Have you ever wondered what the world would look like if your partner treated you the way you want to be treated?
If you could get the right amount of appreciation? The right amount of affection? The right amount of attention and respect?
How awesome would you feel if you could WIN with your partner? If you could shift from basic life support in your relationship to systematically boosting and buoying one another up?!
What if I told you this world MANIFESTS when you implement the PLATINUM RULE for relationship success?
WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO GIVE IT A TRY?
While the Golden Rule would have you treat your partner the way that YOU want to be treated, the PLATINUM RULE has you treat your partner the way s/he WANTS to be treated!
Can you see how this fundamental shift in your orientation can have profound consequences for the peace, love, joy and harmony you experience in your relationship?
Not just your romantic relationship, but ALL of your relationships!
Our default way interacting with one another is usually based on a combination of personal history (how we were taught to behave) and projection (how we would want to be treated). But this default method fails to account for the many cultural and gender differences between us, let alone our own unique personal tastes!
Using the Platinum Rule shifts your orientation from “what I want” to “let me first understand what others want and take that into account.”
It is designed to accommodate the feelings and experiences of others so that you will always win with the most important people in your lives!
ARE YOU READY TO WIN WITH THE OPPOSITE SEX?!
Here’s what I want you to do:
1. Invite your partner (or a good friend or family member) to commit to trying out the Platinum Rule with you.
2. Engage in a conversation (or series of conversations) asking each other about when and how you like to receive attention. What makes you feel acknowledged and unconditionally accepted by your loved ones? What about appreciation? Do you like words in the moment? Or prefer gestures? How much do you need? What about affection? Do you like holding hands? Lots of cuddling or hugs? Or do you start feeling a little smothered with too much? etc.
3. LISTEN TO LEARN without judgment or expectation. You are curious! This is an opportunity to learn more about someone else and how they like to be treated. Notice how really listening opens your heart. Notice how it changes your perspective about the person or situation. What assumptions can you let go of now that you’ve heard it from them?
4. IMPLEMENT the Platinum Rule by modifying your interactions based on what you’ve learned about one another.
5. CELEBRATE the Platinum Rule by SHARING HOW IT AFFECTS YOU when they honor you by treating you in the ways you enjoy being treated!
REMEMBER: No one person can provide you with everything you need.
Shoot for 25% maximum within your personal relationship. Think about where you can subsidize your partner’s ability to provide you with more attention or appreciation OUTSIDE of your relationship.
If you have been struggling to create the you relationship you want, there’s hope and help!
I offer Relationship Breakthrough Sessions for Singles, Couples or Partners Flying Solo ready to turn their dating and relating experiences around right now!
Relationship Navigation Specialist
PS. IF YOU LIKE THIS BLOG POST, TAKE A MINUTE TO LIKE US ON FACEBOOK AT http://www.facebook.com/ConsciousCouplesNetwork/
Better yet, consider SHARING IT with your Facebook friends! 🙂